Interested in getting you product, service or Kickstarter campaign in front of thousands of coffee professionals around the world? Then advertising on coffeechemistry.com may be your solution.
Our site receives thousands of unique visitors from around the world all eager to learn about new products and services within the coffee industry. The site has even been featured on the BBC, Australian Broadcasting Corp., Entrepreneur as well as several other press organizations.
Contact us for more information on how to take part in this sponsoring opportunity.
All content, graphics, electronic materials, trademarks, including but not limited to the design, is owned and copyrighted of coffeechemistry.com. No content may be copied, reproduced, republished, encoded, translated, transmitted or distributed in any way (including “mirroring”) to any other computer, server, Web site or other medium for publication without our express prior written consent.
As a user you agree to indemnify coffeechemistry.com and its affiliates, harmless from any demands, loss, liability, claims or expenses (including attorneys’ fees), for any material , purchases or content that may result by use of this site.
Online Sale (Returns)
All sales are subject to a 25% restocking fee if returned within 7 days of purchase. There are no returns after the 7 day window has expired. Credit towards any other item can be used if the return period has elapsed.
Seminars that you have registered for will also be subject to a refund/cancellation policy on a per event basis, refer to the event details for more information.
Last Updated: May 17, 2017
Coffee Science Certificate®
Explore the Chemistry in Your Cup®
The Coffee Science Certificate® (CSC) is the industry’s first and only training program aimed at providing a greater technical understanding of overall coffee science. The program which extends across a wide range of disciplines is focused primarily on the science and chemistry of coffee from ‘bean to cup’.
The CSC program is composed of three levels of certification (CSC-1, CSC-2, CSC-3). Candidates who have successfully completed all three levels of certification become an official Certified Coffee Scientist™.
CSC Certification Tracks
Students/Instructor & Testimonials
Since 2014 we've had over two hundred students from around the world complete our Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) program. Many of these students have included existing Q-Graders, R-Graders, World Barista Champions (WBC), Authorized SCA Trainers from small to medium companies, to global Fortune 500 around the world.
Below is just a brief list of some of the more notable companies currently holding CSC Certification:
Our next scheduled CSC seminar are listed below:
- March 6-8th, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA
- March 27-29th, 2018 - Melbourne, Australia
- July 3-5th - Belforte del Chienti, Italy (Simonelli Group)
- November 22-24th, 2018 - CSC-2: Italy (CSC-2)
- December 13-15th, 2018 - Hong Kong (CSC-1)
- February 5-7th, 2019 - Los Angeles, CA (CSC-1 & CSC-2 - tentative)
Additional Information & Registration
- For more information visit our upcoming Schedule of Courses around the world.
- If you are interested in attending, we ask that you please Pre-Register so we can gauge the level of interest in that particular session.
- We will notify you of the event details as soon as we've confirmed our dates for that particular city/location.
Press & Media
A special thanks to one of our star students - Andre Eiermann, the 2017 Switzerland World Barista Champion for making this exceptional video. He is now one of Switzerland's very first CSC-1 certified student.
- BeanScene (Feb 2018) - J.Rivera to host Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) seminar in Melbourne
- Nuova Simonelli (Jun 2017) - Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) hosted by Nuova Simonelli
- Global Coffee Review (Apr 2017) - Nuova Simonelli offers CSC Education Program
- Caravan Coffee (Feb 2014) - A Note from the Master: Coffee Science Certificate
- Daily Coffee News (Jan 2014) - Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) launches in North America
We conduct a number of different private consulting services to suit your needs.
Need to have a professional review of your product?
Contact us for professional feedback before launching your product or Kickstarter campaign.
Analytical Coffee Testing Services
- Chemical Analysis
- Organic Acids
- Customized testing
- Physical Analysis
- Sensory Analysis
Near Infrared (NIR) calibration development
- Need a customized NIR calibration, contact us.
- Development of quality standards/NIR measurements
Organic Acids Testing
- Need to compare acid profiles in your roast?
- We offer organic acid profiling which will allow your to objectively compare roasts.
- Testing schedule (coming soon).
- How 'stale' is your coffee?
- Complete aromatic profile testing for coffee
- Testing Schedule (coming soon)
Product Research & Development
- Need assistance developing signature roast profiles?
- Need to compare a competitors product?
- Need to take your idea from concept to final product?
Cold Brew Training & Consulting
- Need technical assistance in developing your cold brew?
Single Serve Capsule Testing
- Want more insight into your single serve capsule?
- Understand extraction profiles of your single serve capsules vs competitors
- Objectively compare capsule performance & its relation to taste
- Need technical assistance?
- Need to support backing a scientific claim?
- Has a client stumped you on a technical question?
- Looking to gain a competitive edge on your competition?
- Patent Infringement
- Expert Witness
- White Paper Development
- Product Development
- Coffee Science Certificate (CSC)
- Private/Staff Corporate Trainings
- Speaker Engagements
We can also provide customized training, testing and consulting services meet your needs.
- 2018 - Exploring Coffee's Chemical Composition - Cafe Culture , March (Chinese)
- 2017 - Huffington Post, Jun - Does Cold Brew Coffee Contain More Caffeine Than Hot Coffee?
- 2016 - Discover Magazine - What's In Your Cup of Coffee?
- 2016 - Reviews.com - The Best Coffee Maker
- 2016 - Lifehacker, Aug - Reset Your Caffeine Tolerance by Halving Your Intake Every Few Days
- 2016 - New York Magazine, Jul - Here’s How to Undo a Caffeine Tolerance
- 2016 - Sprudge, Jul - The Lonesome Art Of Cowboy Coffee
- 2016 - Thrillist, Feb - Coffee Trends That Need To Stop
- 2016 - Thrillist, Feb - 5 Reasons Why Coffee Is Healthier Than Tea
- 2015 - The Kitchn, Jul - Does Cold Brew Coffee Have More Caffeine than Hot Coffee?
- 2015 - The OC Register, Jul - Cold Brew Coffee: The Latest Chilly Java Trend is Taking Off Big Time in O.C.
- 2015 - Thrillist, Jan - How to Quit Coffee
- 2014 - Thrillist, Sep - 20 Things You Didn't Know About Caffeine
- 2014 - Tea & Coffee Trade Journal, Aug - CSC Seminar Draws International Attendees
- 2014 - Daily Coffee News, Jan - Coffee Chemistry Launching Certificate Program in North America
- 2013 - Sprudge, Jul - 9 Awesome Moments From The World Roasters Summit
- 2011 - BBC Scotland, Jan/Dec - How to Make the Perfect Coffee
- 2010 - BeanScene Magazine, Jun - Joseph Rivera The Coffee Scientist
- 2010 - Cafe Culture Magazine - Issue 23
- 2010 - Examiner.com - Interview with a Coffee Scientist
- 2009 - Entrepreneur Magazine, Jul - Insights into the Decaf Market
- 2009 - Wired Magazine, Sep - by P. Di Justo - What's Inside a Cup of Coffee?
- 2008 - Specialty Coffee Assn. of America (SCAA) - Are You a Super-Taster?
- 2007 - National Public Radio (NPR) - The DNA Files
- 2006 - Herald Tribune, Jan - Coffee Connoisseurs are Roasting Their Own
- 2005 - The History Channel - Modern Marvels, Season 12 - Coffee
The following publications were written by Joseph A. Rivera:
- 2018 - Sep/Oct, 2018, Roast Magazine - Unlocking the Chemistry of Cold Brew
- 2017 - The Book of Roast - prime contributor to Coffee Science chapter
- 2015 - Roast Magazine, May/Jun - Organic Acids Revisited
- 2014 - CoffeeTalk Magazine, June - Flavor Profile Built by Malic and Acetic Acids
- 2014 - CoffeeTalk Magazine, May - A Glance at Organic Acids in Coffee
- 2014 - CoffeeTalk Magazine, Apr - Organic Acids - Combining Science and Art
- 2014 - CoffeeTalk Magazine, Mar - Unlocking Coffee's Chemical Composition II
- 2014 - CoffeeTalk Magazine, Feb - Unlocking Coffee's Chemical Composition I
- 2014 - Tea & Coffee Trade Journal, Feb - Dissecting Coffee's Bitterness
- 2013 - Tea & Coffee Intl. Business Magazine, Feb - The Chemistry of Coffee
- 2012 - Roast Magazine, May/Jun - The Chemistry of Brewing
- 2011 - Cafe Culture, Nov - Coffee Chemistry, Part II
- 2011 - Cafe Culture, Aug - Coffee Chemistry, Part I
- 2009 - Tea & Coffee Trade Journal, Jul - Updates in the Decaf Market
- 2009 - Tea & Coffee Trade Journal, Feb - Coffee's Chemical Composition
- 2008 - Barista Magazine, Apr/May - Superduper Tasters
- 2008 - Roast Magazine, Mar/Apr - The Science of Browning Reactions
- 2007 - Imbibe Magazine, Jul/Aug - Distilled/Q&A
- 2005 - Roast Magazine, Mar/Apr - Alchemy in the Roasting Lab
- 2015 - Modulating the Flavor of Coffee - Rob Hoos
- 2015 - Common Man and the SG Pow-Wow - Singapore, SG
- 2015 - OC Register - Cold Brew Coffee: The latest chilly java trend is taking off big time
- 2014 - The Coffee Roaster's Companion - Scott Rao
- 2014 - Belaroma, July - by H. McDonnell - Acids in Coffee - An Introduction
- 2011 - Fresh Cup Magazine, Mar - by J. Di Properzio - A Different Buzz
- 2011 - Roast Magazine, Mar/Apr - by R. A. Church - Deconstructing Decaf
- 2008 - Barista Magazine, Jun/Jul by M. Pendergrast - Cupping Under Pressure
- 2006 - Fresh Cup Magazine - by J. Di Properzio - Chemistry of Coffee Flavor
- 2006 - Roast Magazine, Jan/Feb - by P. Allen - For the Love of Peaberry
- 2000 - Griffin, M. - Davidson College, Dept. of Chemistry - Determination of the Relationship between Phosphate Concentration and Perceived Acidity in Coffee
- 1998 - Sturdivant, S. Finding the Secret to Kenya's Great Coffee. SCI Research Project Leads to Important Discovery. Tea & Coffee Trade Journal, March
- 1998 - Mabbett, T. - Coffee Acid's Test. Coffee & Cocoa International. Nov/Dec
- 1998 - Mabbett, T. - Tasting High Notes. Coffee & Cocoa International. Jul/Aug
coffeechemistry.com was launched in 2004 as the coffee industry’s leading information portal on all aspects on coffee science, chemistry and technology.
Using our extensive years of experience and vast network of international partners, we provide the industry with the most up to date information on coffee science.
Joseph A. Rivera, founder and creator of coffeechemistry.com, served as the former Director of Science & Technology for the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) and the Coffee Quality Institute (CQI) from 1999 to 2009. He's the co-creator of the internationally recognized Q-Certification program since its inception in 2000 with over five-thousand currently certified graders from around the world.
Joseph holds a degree in food chemistry and has over a decade of experience in researching all aspects of coffee science from "bean to cup". He's presented at dozens of international conferences and published numerous articles in the area of coffee science for the specialty coffee industry. He is also the creator of the first and only, Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) program which was launched in 2013 and conducted in over four continents.
Over the past ten years, coffeechemistry.com has worked with numerous research organizations, NGO's, as well as with private and public Fortune 1,000 companies from around the world.
For more information please contact us