Cupping is perhaps one of the most important skill anyone can develop within the coffee industry. Initially developed by green coffee buyer, "cupping" provides a consistent methodology for evaluating a coffee's quality before determining a price on a lot. In much the same way that a wine connoisseur would evaluate a fine Cabernet, cuppers must use a strict set of tasting protocols to assess quality.
Coffee Science Certificate®
Explore the Chemistry in Your Cup®
Credit: Andre Eiermann (2017 Swiss Barista Champion)
The Coffee Science Certificate® (CSC) is the industry’s first and only training program aimed at providing a greater technical understanding of overall coffee science. The program which extends across a wide range of disciplines is focused primarily on the science and chemistry of coffee from ‘bean to cup’.
The CSC program is composed of three levels of certification (CSC-1, CSC-2, CSC-3). Candidates who have successfully completed all three levels of certification become an official Certified Coffee Scientist™.
CSC Certification Tracks
Students/Instructor & Testimonials
Since 2014 we've had over two hundred students from around the world complete our Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) program. Many of these students have included existing Q-Graders, R-Graders, World Barista Champions (WBC), Authorized SCA Trainers from small to medium companies, to global Fortune 500 around the world.
Below is just a brief list of some of the more notable companies currently holding CSC Certification:
Our 2019 Schedule of Seminars are listed below:
- CSC-1: Los Angeles, CA (USA): February 26-28th
- CSC-1: Italy: June 11-13th @Simonelli Group
- CSC-1: Los Angeles, CA (USA): July 29-31st
- CSC-1: South Carolina (USA): Sep 11-13th @ Ally Coffee Global HQ
- CSC-2: Los Angeles, CA - October 1-3rd, TBA
- CSC-1: Athens, Greece - TBA
- CSC-1: London, UK - TBA
Additional Information & Registration
- For more information visit our upcoming Schedule of Courses around the world.
- If you are interested in attending, we ask that you please Pre-Register so we can gauge the level of interest in that particular session.
- We will notify you of the event details as soon as we've confirmed our dates for that particular city/location.
Press & Media
A special thanks to one of our star students - Andre Eiermann, the 2017 Switzerland World Barista Champion for making this exceptional video. He is now one of Switzerland's very first CSC-1 certified student.
- December 2018 - CSC-2 Officially Launches in Italy at Nuova Simelli Global Headquarters
- February 2018 - BeanScene Magazine - Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) coming to Australia
- June 2017 - Nuova Simonelli - Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) hosted by Nuova Simonelli
- April 2017 - Global Coffee Review - Nuova Simonelli officially offers Coffee Science Education Program
- February 2014 - Caravan Coffee - A Note from the Master: Coffee Science Certificate
- January 2014 - Daily Coffee News - Coffee Science Certificate (CSC) launches in North America
August 19, 2008 - What do rotten eggs, bad breath, and stinky feet all have in common with coffee? Well, more than you think!
August 20, 2008 - Dora Jaramillo slides off the top of a wooden box to reveal 36 numbered vials of "perfume." Each number in the kit corresponds to a different aroma commonly found in coffee, some positive (lemon and butter) and some not so positive (medicinal and rubber). These codified aromas are part of Jaramillo's professional infrastructure...
See LA Times article
Unlike wine where the winemaker has complete control of the product up to the time of bottling, coffee requires that the consumers use a bit of their own skills during beverage preparation. This final step in coffee preparation is perhaps one of the most critical, since errors here can ruin the quality of the coffee and ultimately all the work that was invested into it.
April 16, 2012 - This weeks starts the 24th Annual SCAA conference in Portland, Oregon. With over 10,000 people in attendance the event is sure to be the largest single coffee event on earth.
March 11, 2013 - Next month launches the SCAA's 25th Annual conference in Boston, MA. The event, which is expected to attracted thousands, is sure to be the largest single coffee event on Earth.
June 16, 2013 - We are excited to announce our participation at the first ever World Roasters Summit in Nice, France. The event which will take place in the exquisite Palais de la Méditerranée hotel is scheduled for Tuesday, June 25th and is expected to attract hundreds people from around the area.
If you've ever wondered about the science behind the Coffee Taster's Flavor Wheel (GE353), make sure to attend our coming seminar at SCAA. Explore how the flavors are formed and how they all work to make up this ever popular coffee tool.
After a sold out session last year, we're pleased to announce that we will be conducting another Coffee Science Certificate (CSC-1) seminar in London October 6-7th, 2015. For more information see our events page. Pre-registration is required.